Bhanu Athaiya née Rajopadhye (born 28 April 1929) is costume designer, having worked in over 100 films, since the 1950s, with noted filmmakers like Guru Dutt, Yash Chopra, Raj Kapoor, Ashutosh Gowariker, and international directors like Conrad Rooks and Richard Attenborough.
She made her debut as a film costume designer with the film C.I.D. in 1956, and followed it up with other Guru Dutt classics likePyaasa (1959), Chaudhvin Ka Chand (1960) and Sahib Bibi Aur Ghulam (1964). In her career spanning 50 years she has received numerous awards. She won the Academy Award for Best Costume Design (shared with John Mollo) for her work in the 1982 film,Gandhi. She became the first Indian to win an Academy Award. She also won two National Film Awards, in 1991and 2002.
In March 2010, Athaiya released her book The Art of Costume Design, published by Harper Collins. On January 13, 2013, Athaiya presented a copy of the book to the Dalai Lama.
The List of Indian who won The Oscars
1) Bhanu Athaiya won Best Costume Design (with John Mollo) for Gandhi (1982)
2) Satyajit Ray received an honorary Academy Award in 1991.
3) Russell Pookutty won Best Sound Mixing (with Ian Tapp and Richard Pryke) for Slumdog Millionaire (2008).
4) AR Rahman won Best Score and Best Original Song (music) for Slumdog Millionaire (2008)
5) Gulzar won Best Song (lyrics) for Slumdog Millionaire (2008). [He was not present at the ceremony to collect his Oscar.]
Except Satyajit Ray, all others worked on the movies conceptualized, produced and directed by Foreign production houses.